22 June 2008

Risk Management

A couple of weeks ago I watched a documentary, Life After People. I'm not positive, but it seems very much like a piggyback on The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, an author and journalist who write for some very prominent publications.

Origins aside (I haven't read the book yet), one might think that watching a depiction of the planet without humans would be frightening. On the contrary, I found it comforting to think that the planet is fine without us; life goes on. And that's why you need to think about global warming, climate change and pollution in a whole new way.

I taught my students about risk management this semester. I'll admit that it was a glossing-over of the subject. When I did internet research on the topic, I found page and pages on the topic. Apparently, it's not as easy as tipping a scale.

I came across this video on matthewgood.org. It's not about music; it makes a compelling argument as to why we should act to clean up the planet. The important thing to remember is that it's not about saving the planet; it's about saving humanity. The planet will do just fine without us. At least until a giant meteor or asteroid come along. Or until the sun explodes.



Greg Craven is my Hero of the Week. Now, pass it on.

No comments: