13 March 2007

Women's Day, take two

Last year, for International Women's Day, I tried to celebrate some wonderful, well-known women who have made a difference in our world. People weren't overly enthusiastic about it.

This year, I was too busy with an event with AI to really mark the occasion here, but it's still been on my mind.

Today, CBC (in the form of their daily new highlights) gave me a launching pad.

In their article titled "Where the equality gaps still exist" they talk about what women have gained over the last 100 years (when the first International Women's Day was celebrated), and they also talk about where we lag. Some of the gaps are pretty disgusting.

So, while you might not want to call yourself a feminist (I'm oh, so tired of that discussion), don't think that we have anything that even approaches equality. When the majority sex is considered a minority group, we have problems.

No comments: