15 November 2006

Today I am incompetent

I'm writing from school.

I feel like shit. I find it hard to believe that I am a qualified teacher because I definitely feel like I can't do it.

I'm worn odwn, I'm frustrated and I want to hit the students. I probably shouldn't admit that in public. But since I haven't yet hit anyone, I am absolving myself of any culpability.

I know that I was having a rough time when I got to school, but I don't think it was all me. I always walk into class with a smile like I'm ready to start and glad to be there. But today, it failed from the start.

It's pretty sad when you rely on a couple of students to be absent just to get through the day, but that's what one of the grade 7 classes is like. There are students who are not fit to be in a classroom with others. They can't work quietly, that can't listen with commenting, they don't respect anyone, and they don't care about anything.

I don't know where they got this attitude, but today I am fed up with it.

If it weren't for the fact that I don't actively teach tomorrow, I'd probably call in sick.

I hope there's beer in the fridge at home.

3 comments:

haitch pee said...

that sucks. ass. wish i had inspiring words. in want of those, hope there was beer and it was cold. and that tomorrow is better!

Lani said...

I have inspiring words!!!

Every job comes with its bad days. Sometimes the kids are great - they listen, they learn, they have fun - they make you smile. Sometimes the kids are jerks and yes, you feel like hitting them (I've had the feeling, thank goodness I have restraint!) But think about other jobs you've had. Sometimes the days were great and sometimes somebody was a jerk.

Today, your kids were jerks. Think about the times when they weren't jerks. Think about their good qualities, we all have them!

Look on the bright side of things and remember, there's always tomorrow - and tomorrow, you don't have to teach :)

minako said...

Actually, yeah. That does make me feel a little better.

And the booze didn't hurt either. :)