06 November 2006

I like taxes

It's true, sometimes I'd rather keep my entire paycheque instead of losing 1/4 of it to the federal government, but overall, I'm glad I pay taxes.

It gives me the right to complain when my elected representatives mess up. After all, I'm their boss.

It allows me not to worry when I have the flu or gangrene, or whatever passes for serious illness these days -- our medicare might not be the best in the world, but it's better than dying because I can't afford to go to the doctor.

And it allowed me to get a decent education that helped me get a decent job, that I'm very much enjoying.

When I'm not plotting to maim little children.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Actually, our medical system is one of the best in the world. I wonder what that says about the health care in other countries.

Tricky said...

did you know that the infant mortality rate is higher in the states than in cuba?