21 September 2006

I just lost my job

Seriously.

But I have a new one now.

Because the grade 7 classes at my school turned out to be sooooo small, the school board forced the school to collapse them into 2 classes. On the bright side (which is how this was first pitched to me by the Principal and VP) is that no one is losing their job or even being moved to another school. The board has agreed that the school could use the extra support.

So, here's what happens as I understand it to date:
  • I will no longer be teaching French to Grade 4s. Because there is one less grade 7, the french teacher now has room in her schedule.
  • I will no longer have a homeroom. There are currently 3 homeroom teachers, and they've decided to give the homerooms to the other two teachers.
  • I will no longer be teaching grade 7 English Language Arts. The other new teacher will do that, which I think is a good thing because I think some of the kids need more male influence in their daily routine. A lot of the boys don't respect women very well, and having a positive male role model who shows respect for women will be a very good thing for them to see.
  • I will be doing lost of professional development so I can learn about how to support students on LSPs (Learning Support Program). I will be "co-teaching" with the grade 8/9 teacher, Juli, and the new grade 7 ELA teacher, David. I'm not really sure what that means or how it will look.
  • I'm losing my classroom, but apparently they will find space for me. That would be good, because I've already filled up my room with lots of food and crap. Really, as long as I have a computer with an internet comection, I'll be fine. :)

So, that's the deal. The only teachers who know now are the ones involved. The other teachers will be told tomorrow, and the kids will find out on Monday. The official changeover will start at the end of next week, or beginning of the following week. This works out well because my students have most of their assignments due next Thursday (Friday is an inservice), which means that the rollover will be pretty smooth. And I'm hoping that Dave will keep up some of the stuff I've been doing with them, like spelling and journals, and maybe the memorization.

So, I'm out of one job and into another. I hope it's interesting!

3 comments:

haitch pee said...

Holy shit crap!!!
This is full of crazy.
You seem calm... ?
I'm glad you didn't lose-lose your job!
And maybe this will be a better way to ease into teaching?
um, call me??!!!

Jenni said...

Holy shit! Oh, wait that was Haitch pee's comment.

I can't believe that happened. In away you are lucky that you get to do program support. I am jealous!

By the way. I may be doing a long term sub in Biology. WTF?

I want to do English or Literacy support so bad.

Me said...

Sounds like your new job is easier and less stressful. Hooray! I wish I had lost my job like that in my first year of teaching - get a transition year like you're getting. Sounds like it will be a good year for you :)