Here's the thing. I wasn't talking about some guy who was waving a gun around wildly and it accidentally went off and two people died. This isn't that kind of murder. This is a guy who allegedly infected people -- women -- on purpose, maliciously. And from the audience:
Right, so here's a little education session on behalf of avert.org:
- An estimated 40.3 million people WORLDWIDE are infected with HIV/AIDS.
- To November 2005, there are 4.9 million new infections this year.
- To date, 3.1 million people have died of AIDS in 2005.
- More than 25 million people have died of AIDS since 1981.
- By December 2005 women accounted for 46% of all adults living with HIV worldwide.
- More than 6,000 young people (15-24 years old) become infected with HIV every day.
- Sub-Saharan Africa, and South and South-East Asia lead the way in new infections this year with 25.8 million and 7.4 million respectively, to date.
- Africa has 12 million AIDS orphans. Maybe I'll write that one out: 12,000,000
- Of the 6.5 million people in developing and transitional countries who need life-saving AIDS drugs, only 1 million are receiving them.
- In Canada, females accounted for 7% of AIDS cases reported with known gender in the period 1979-94; in 2004 that proportion was 21%.
- The provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec account for 85% of the population of Canada and for 95% of the nation's AIDS diagnoses.
So, to think that someone may have infected people on purpose, is a pretty upsetting event. I'm actually sad that people didn't seem to have anything to say about this, other than a couple of people privately commenting that they'd "write something later", which is why I waited to post again.
I think I'm going to put my trivial "recently in my life" post on hold for a bit and just let the AIDS thing sink in. Because if you haven't thought about it recently, it's about time you did.
And if you think you know so much about it, congratulations. Prove it.