08 September 2005

Career remorse

Yesterday I discovered that I missed my chance to get my dream job by 30 minutes.

I had been talking to Amanda the night before and she said they were still posting term positions on the HRSB website and that I should check them out.

Bad idea.

There was a position posted for Grade 10 English, Drama, and Canadian History. It was a 100% full-year term position. I know I would have got it because I haev all the qualifications. Okay, so my history isn't the strongest, but I took lots of courses in university, and it's Canada! I think I could figure it out. At the very least, I could rent Canada: A People's History and base my course on that!!

I checked at 3:30, the job closed at 4. I didn't have a resume ready to post. And I accepted my current job a month ago. I felt so boxed in. Besides the fact that I work with my father, I'm prominently placed for a bunch of upcoming projects that I really want to work on. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot now.

But with all the kids (and some of my teacher-friends) going back to school this week, I'm feeling a little bit of remorse. A little bit of questioning. Should I have stuck it out longer? Should I have tried the subbing thing for more than a few months? How bad would it have been?

I know that I would have learned to hate teaching if I was stuck subbing for a long time, but I don't know how long "long" is.

So, today I am a little sad about that missed opportunity and wondering what I would have done if I'd seen that posting sooner. I know it's a pointless exercise, but I don't think it's a surprising reaction.

3 comments:

MeghanTheDominator said...

Well, you can keep checking the websites and apply when you can. I don't think your dream job passed you by, keep applying, keep your options open. :)

Branflakes said...

Jobs come and go. There will be others, and when the right one comes along, you'll know it, trepidation or not. :-)

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Jenni said...

I wish I would have waited it out and not taken the first job I saw in the middle of butt f%^k nowhere!