04 May 2005

I got a job?

So, an interesting thing happened a couple of days ago. Some of you may know about it already, but I had to post it for those who didn't.

About a week and a half ago (the day of my birthday), Jan came to me and said, "I need a voided cheque from you. Or you need to get your banking information, so you should call."

"Why?"

"You're going on payroll."

"What? How? Why?"

"Rose said so."

"Oh. Okay."

Later that day, Beth and I were walking back from lunch, so I asked her about it:

"Jan came to me and said I was going on payroll. Did I miss something?"

"Um... no. I don't think I can really talk to you about it, though. You should talk to Don."

"Oh. Okay."

"Well, remember when I asked you a couple of weeks ago where we were in your contract, and how you felt about things?"

"Yes."

"Rick asked me to write a report about the status of your contract, the status of the position, and how we should proceed. I recommended that they either extend your conract or hire full-time for the position. I guess they decided on the latter."

"Oh."

"Talk to Don."

But Don was out of town so I was SOL. I went into my b-day weekend, knowing only that my pay would now be subject to tax deductions.

When I finally talked to him, he said, "Someone skipped a step." Great.

Which step. Well, actually it was three. 1) Hiring for a new position must be approved by the Board of Directors. 2) I had to be informed. 3) We had to negotiate my salary.

Well, luckily, the board approved.

Currently, I'm still being paid by the hour (yea!) but with deductions (boo!) which will help alleviate my tax bill next year (yea!) when I will actually have to pay taxes (boo!).

Every so often, Don mentions my job, but still no word on salary....


New in the office: Beth is no longer my boss (announced today)! She still works here, but she's been moved to another division. Don is now my only boss (next to Rick -- not my friend, my dad).

6 comments:

Jenni said...

Congrats Christine!

Yay for you!

Luv Ya!

Me said...

Woo hoo! congrats. BossLady's new name should be Not-the-BossLady

:)

Branflakes said...

Maybe her new name should be Not-the-BossLady?

Me said...

Hahaha! stupid blogger, i didn't mean to post it 5 times! haaha!

minako said...

It's okay, Lani. I fixed it. :)

minako said...

Those are good suggestions, but that applies to basically every female I work with.