16 May 2005

Deep breaths

Two days left in this work week. My short vacation is less than 72 hours away.

It probably seems odd that I'm so desperate for a vacation when I spent most of the first two months of this calendar year unemployed. But unemployment isn't relaxing. Lately, I feel my stress levels going up, up, UP.

Maybe, like Lani said on Jaclyn's blog, it's because this is past the time when I usually get an annual break. Maybe it's because I'm addicted to vacations. In either case, I'll soon get my fix.


I was sitting on the bus this afternoon, contemplating my naval, and I was struck by a sudden fear. What if I become one of those adults who just stops? I don't want my mind to stagnate. I had a horrible realization that I'm doing absolutely nothing to expand my brain. I'm afraid that my vocabulary is slipping because I have to tone it down for the general public with whom I work. I think I'm starting to mumble more because I care less and less about what I have to say -- yet I become more and more frustrated when people don't understand me.

I'm seeking genuine suggestions (bearing in mind extreme lack of fundage) to expand my brain. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Me said...

Read more. Read books about science and things that you normally wouldn't read. Do more crosswords, attempt the cryptic crossword once in a while. Watch the Discovery channel often. Stop watching Maury Povich and Regis and Kelly. Eat your vegetables. Don't eat as much sugar.

Why do I feel like the Sunscreen song??

Tricky said...

My grandfather told me when i was little that he'd play blackjack with car plates. He'd look at the numbers, make a guess, then add them up to see if he made 21, busted, or was too low. It's to the point know where he can automatically determine if he got a blackjack with the car ahead of him. It's a useless skill, surely, but he swears that it keeps him sharp.

minako said...

I should read more, and I know it. I just started Jane Eyre again because I know I'll enjoy it and thereby finish it. I have 3 other books started that I can't bring myself to finish; What About the Big Stuff?, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Time Machine. I'm afraid of the Morlocks. They were really creepy in the awful (but not terrible) movie a few years back. The book description frightens me too -- in the scene where he's low on matches and they're touching him.... Yikes!

I digress. Books. Yes. Good option. I will try harder.

Car Blackjack.... I'm afraid I'd cheat. And I'm usually driving, so I'm also afraid I'd crash.

haitch pee said...

Lani took the words from my comment before i could get to the comment page...
Yes, read. Lord knows i"m not doing it as much as I want to. Who cares if you don't finish every book? Who cares what kind of book?
Read!
I'm a fan of Jonathon Safron Foer (sp?), what I've read, and I think it's differnt than a lot of what you read, but still kinda historical and neat - "Everything is Illuminated", anyway.
Also, Tim Winton "Cloudstreet" is great.
Alternatively, why don't you learn cool things to do with your digital camera?
I hear ya. But you'll be SMRT always, and keep yourself that way.

Branflakes said...

Where'd you go for vacation anyway?