02 March 2005

The end of an era

So, maybe I wasted five years of my life, maybe I didn't. Specifically, maybe I inflicted myself to two years of near Hell, maybe I didn't.

No experience is wasted, right? Right?!

My teaching "career" is over. Ostensibly.

I may eat my words in June if this EM contract doesn't get extended....

My last sub day was Friday. I taught the computer geeks again, and was reminded of how boring subbing is. The upside was that I was finished at 11:30, and the teacher I was in for advised me to go home and enjoy the day.

And that was it. Very unceremoniously, the 2004/2005 segment of my teaching career is over, and is a strong signal that it could be quite a while before I step into a classroom again. The teachers who call me regularly are disappointed. And I'm sad to disappoint them. But I don't think they understand how hard it is for new teachers. They see the new Ed grads parade in year after year all with the same aspirations. They see the new grads become old subs, looking anywhere and everywhere for a term contract. And when they finally make probation, they take subjects there weren't trained to teach just to secure that job and make it permanent. That's a broken system, and I'm not sad to have escaped it. The disenchantment is too strong.

I am sad that I gave up on it so quickly, and that my dream barely passed muster with reality.

2 comments:

Me said...

I think you need to specify that it is hard for new teachers in Nova Scotia. There is a world wide teacher shortage - if you really wanted to teach, you could - you just probably won't be teaching down the street at Auburn High School. I'll admit that I was lucky - I teach the right subjects, got the right interview and ended up with a job in Toronto. I highly doubt that I would have gotten a job in NS. There just isn't the demand for teachers there.

I agree with you - the system in NS is a broken one - but NS isn't the only place to teach.

:)

Agate said...

I agree with Lani. If you wanted to teach, you'd be in Thailand, or NWT, or North Carolina, and you'd have a fairly good job. You chose to stay in Nova Scotia, and you probably knew that it wasn't going to be ideal. You're not failing by giving up now, you are simply clarifying your priorities. You want to be in Nova Scotia, and you don't want to play the sub game. There's no shame or sadness in that.