08 February 2005

Back in the Saddle?

Despite much protestation and avoidance, I taught again today. And I actually mean taught.

I substituted for my high school journalism teacher. I had one section of journalism, and 2 of Grade 11 English. The best thing about it was that he actually left me work and teaching to do; not just babysitting and handing out worksheets to keep them occupied. There were worksheets, but I actually got to run the lesson leading into them. But the best part of it was teaching the journalism. It was great to remember all that stuff again, and to teach it to someone else, using all my own examples. That's why I wanted to be a teacher.

This doesn't mean I'm going to jump back into it, full-force. But I'm glad that I did it and didn't hate it today.

2 comments:

Agate said...

That's great news. I'm glad you enjoyed being a teacher for a day. Substituting for someone that knows that you can be trusted to actually teach must be rare.

Me said...

I would leave lessons for substitutes, but I never know what the heck their teachables actually are. If I leave a full-fledged music lesson and they teach History in "real life" then there is a problem. And I always kind of figure that substitutes don't really want to have to try to teach someone else's lesson. But maybe I'm wrong...who knows. I don't know if my grade 11s would even co-operate with a substitute...they HATE it when I'm not there. They get mad and complain about the sub...so strange.