06 January 2005

Who needs dignity?

I just asked for a job. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. Basically I just had to express my interest, my willingness to starve until the opportunity arose, and pile on the flattery.

I hate "selling" myself. But I had to. I don't think it was clear that I'm desperate to a) have an income, and b) work in event management. I was right in thinking that she wouldn't have an answer for me right away. I don't expect that you ask for a job and they say, "Oh, yeah, sure! Here's one!" But I did my part. I know it wasn't clear that I was willing to commit to this because everytime she talked about work for me, I'd say, "Well, I'm teaching this day, and this day, and all next week." That doesn't really make me seem open to making a commitment to them.

So, in the next couple of weeks I'll find out what the next couple of months will offer. And it's a start. I wasn't shot down. She (she needs a pseudonym) said that I would be the first person she talked to if/when the opportunity was available, which according to Cheer Bear is the best response ever. Otherwise she would have said, "We'll notify you when something comes up," (i.e., you can apply with everyone else) or, "I don't think we have any upcoming opportunities" (i.e., fuck off).

Generally she considers nepotism a drawback, but is impressed with the work I've done and thinks it balances out.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful.

9 comments:

Me said...

"Her" pseudonym (sp??) could be TRUMP....like Donald...from the apprentice. YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!


oops...i mean HIRED!

:D

minako said...

She's far prettier than The Donald. And she's not scary at all. In fact, she's already come up with another week of work for me.

More suggestions, please.

Branflakes said...

The Exchequitrix. A horribly British combination of exchequer, which is an Anglicism for "treasury" or "financial resources" and the suffix -trix, meaning "female practicioner of", as in dominatrix, or administratrix (of a will, for example).

minako said...

Again, a good idea. But how about something easy to spell. :)

Me said...

How about "exec"?

Me said...

Or "BossLady"?

minako said...

Lani wins, for her inceiteful entry, "BossLady"!!

The prize has yet to be determined....

Me said...

Hoooray! I will take the prize in small bills please. ;)

Branflakes said...

I don't think they make 'nickel' or 'dime' bills yet. ;-)