13 January 2005

Internal Influences

Subtitle: Link attack!

This has been an interesting week. I can't say I particularly enjoyed parts of it, but it hasn't been too bad.

It started off with conflict with my grandfather. First there was the lecture on how 11:30 is too late for "little girls" to be getting home at night. Then there was the threat of loneliness and boredom if I move out of my parents' house. Then there was the silent treatment. He finished it off with a 180, showering me with affection, etc. It really frustrates me because I don't know what I can do to please him. I avoid anything that would seriously shock or upset him, but I can't become a completely different person when he's around. So, I guess this conflict will continue for the (up to) two weeks remaining in his visit.

Then was the Sad Anniversary. One year ago Monday was the day my lovely puppy died. Okay, so he was almost 15 years-old, but he was still my puppy. I was actually okay. I remembered a few days before, but the day of, I didn't remember until I was sitting in the staff room where I was teaching that day. Christmas was actually harder than the anniversary was.

I started auditing a business course called Strategic Marketing. It seems like it's going to be pretty interesting, but we didn't start the work yet, so the jury's still out. Because I'm just auditing, I don't have to do any of the actual work or assignments. The prof is Beth's husband (she recommended the course), and he's just asked me to do the readings, keep up with the in-class stuff, and participate. I think I can handle that much. The idea is for me to get a feel for business courses, since it's highly recommended that I get some business education if I'm serious about Event Management/Marketing.

Tuesday was the Concert for Asia. It was a huge fundraiser for the Earthquake/Tsunami disaster. It feels weird to have such a good time for such a horrible event, but it raised so much money for OxFam, that I'm not really going to be picky about it. I fell in love with a guy and a guitar, as usual. I also made fun of Foo a lot. Her boyfriend was a stagehand, and she spent many a set change squinting at the stage, deciding which roadie was him. So I spent many a set change poking fun at her.

I was also given Amoxicillin for a sinus infection (aka Sinusitis). One pill, three times a day for 10 days. By the time I'm done, my stomach should be a wreck. Can't wait.

Last night I saw my grade 12s (I know they're not mine anymore, but I feel protective of them) in their class production of Arthur Miller's The Crucible. I was pleasantly surprised. When I taught them the week before Christmas, they were far from ready. They really pulled it together, though. It was a little rough, and I did notice some dropped lines, but I was proud of them all. I dragged Andrew to the show with me, because that's the kind of cruel and sadistic person I am. He said it wasn't too painful, mostly that the seats were the most uncomfortable ever. And that yelling isn't a good substitute for bad acting (or was it lack of acting skills?). Either way, he was right on both accounts.

The highlight of my week (after the concert) was that I wasn't needed at work today. The buses were cancelled, so the students wouldn't be at school. So, I got to sleep in. Something I needed, since my uterus has exerted its authority once again. I forgot that Depo doesn't take hold right away. I've been moderately relieved since my first injection in November, but last time it took 6 months for the full and glorious benefits to remake my life. For now, I'll have to wait until injection #2.

In related news, I finally got an appointment with a dermatologist. March 31st. The speed with which health care in this province works astounds me. Really.

1 comment:

Branflakes said...

How about calling him Stagehand? Or Roadie? Either seem like they might fit the bill.

If I get this job at Brock, I want to go back and take a bunch more courses I can't afford now.