07 December 2004

Idiosyncratic?

Boy, am I cranky a lot lately. I'm not sure if I should blame the lack of sleep, the illness that refuses to take hold and knock me out properly, the cold weather, or the newly out-of-whack hormones.

Possibly a combination.

At any rate, I'm a now a big fan of staying in bed as long as possible in the morning and showing up at least half an hour late for work. I'm sure that looks great to my potential full-time employers.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in myself. I had become quite adept at getting up when I needed to.

Flash of brilliance: Today my body could possibly be reacting to the lack of sugar. A quick web search has further convinced me:

"The symptoms of sugar withdrawal can include headaches, fatigue, depression, drowsiness, skin eruptions, and mucus or throat discomfort. Some of these symptoms, especially the mood swings, fatigue and drowsiness, can occur on a daily basis as the blood sugar rises and falls on a high-sugar diet." -- http://www.stress-free-weight-loss.com/February-4-2003.htm

I spent the better part of two days indulging in pretty much everything that came my way. And since I spent the better part of two days next to a dessert manufacturer's display/sample booth, plus an afternoon at a baby shower, you can probably imagine where my lack of self-restraint got me.

I'm trying to be good today, even though I know that I'm about to go down and buy a sugary coffee-like drink from 2nd Cup, and will probably indulge in some organic chocolate when I get back.

I'm allowed to cut back slowly, right?

Incidentally, "idiosyncratic" is a synonym for "cranky". Which makes cranky not necessarily bad.

Excuses, excuses....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

when i quit smoking... meat,pop, and most junk food, i began to dream about it and i was cranky for the better part of two months. It happens. don't worry about it. just hope you have supportive friends :)
hang in there,

Meghan

Me said...

What exactly is "Mucas discomfort?" Sounds gross.

deadwriter said...

Finally, a question I feel fully qualified to answer.

Mucus Discomfort: when your head feels full of something that weighs it down, as if it were a bowling ball. Sometimes the feeling is concentrated in a particular area (eg. the sinuses under the eyes, in which case, it feels like they may explode and spew mucus like a volcano, a possibility which does not seem altogether undesirable given the amount of pressure building up underneath your skin) or a general non-localized water logged feeling in your head that makes you feel somewhat dizzy.

You may blow your nose, and something may come out, but it feels as if what ever came out is only a small fraction of what is still in your head. Often times, nothing will come out. You know something is there, and it will not leave.

Then you get tired and sleep for four hours in the middle of the day.

The end.

minako said...

Exactly.