18 October 2003

Notes and quotes

I saw Ann-Marie MacDonald read from her new book, The Way the Crow Flies, last night. It was AMAZING!! She is such a great presence on stage.

I was a little unsure as to whether I wanted to buy the book (which runs almost $40 -- hardcover), because her last book Fall on Your Knees was extremely graphic, and more then a little disturbing in places. But she is such a fascinating writer.

She caught me on the first line. I don't know if it was how she was reading, or the words themselves, but I'm eager to get at it now. I did shell out the $40 -- for a signed copy, too -- but I figure I can turn it into a Christmas present for my mom.

MacDonald's oral reading is great. I think it has something to do with being an actor as well. She doesn't act out every movement, but she makes the appropriate facial expressions, uses "tones" for the father or the brother or whomever is speaking. And generally puts all the inflection into it that you need to feel the mood. I don't know if I would have read the opening lines the way she spoke them. But now, hearing how the author herself intended them to be read, I know how to begin.

Had dinner with Nancy last night (also my date for the reading). Good times as always. We have such great conversations, and she thinks like I do, so she doesn't think I'm off the wall, but she also doesn't let me get away with anything. She's really busy and stressed because of school, plus she's training and raising money to run a marathon for arthritis. Initially she was going to try to raise twice as much money as she needed and I was going to get to go to the marathon too (in DisneyWorld!!!), but with only a couple of hundred dollars to go, I think she's running out of ideas for how to get it. Plus, she needs to really concentrate on the running. She's supposed to do 13 km tomorrow and she's scared. But I know she can do it, because she used to think that 5 was a big deal.

My parents are still enjoying Europe. They switch locations today, but I'm not quite sure where they're going. They left a phone number and that's all that I care about.

I had to go to a funeral on their behalf on Thursday. That wasn't much fun. I did get to see some people I haven't in a while, so that was nice. I got Uncle Brian's (not a real uncle, but a former employer) new card, so I'm going to give him a shout. I'm hoping he can give me some work over Christmas. Or at least take his favourite starving student out for a bite. He thinks I'm wasting my time in Education. He doesn't doubt that I'll make a great teacher, but he thinks I'm better suited to the business (read: event planning) world. And maybe someday I will. I doubt that I'm going to teach high school forever. Besides wanting to get my PhD at some point so I can teach university, event planning is something I enjoy very much. But it's stressful and I don't know if I could do it all the time. Plus, like Uncle Brian, I really hate schmoozing. And you have to do a lot of it when you run events.

I have to get ready to head back to w/v. I have work to do!

No comments: