31 May 2003

Disappointment

Well, at least I now have something to blog. There's nothing better than waiting until a cosmic shift in the expected order of things to give one something to write about.

Yesterday I was talking to Andrea and she informed me of the unthinkable. Tom has not left w/v. Now, see, we had a deal. I had to put up with his online harassment, his in-person idocy (i.e., Bumper People with MY friends), and his friends making status reports about my goings on (i.e., cyber-stalking) but the trade off was that, as of mid-May, I got w/v to myself. He was supposed to leave. But, lo and behold, not only has he maintained residency, he FAILED to graduate. ARGH!! This information also comes from Andrea who checked the registrar's grad list for spring convocation. This is NOT FAIR! I don't want to hear the BS about how life isn't fair, and you just have to make do as best you can. I've put up with enough from this bugger, and I deserve the right to carry on without fear that the next ICQ message I get is going to be from a new account he set up to annoy me!

Where do I find these men? Why can't I find someone nice and not psychotic, like Lew's Mike, or the Estelle's Gerald? Why does it seem to be my lot in life to sift through the sociopaths, and then deal with them afterwards? Is it a gift I have. Now, to be fair, the previous ex went away quietly after I asked him to repay the money he owed me. It meant I had to chase him for it, but that effectively put an end to any semblance of positivity he might otherwise have tried to glean post-break-up.

I'm not asking that all exes either forget I exist, or even stay buddy-buddy. I want someone who has the common sense to know that it is inappropriate to hound someone, and beat them down just because they're feeling hurt. Wow. What a concept. Although, strangely worded, yes; I'm looking for an ex who can move on, so I can do the same.

BLARGH!!!

At this point, my saving grace is that he's taking a summer course to finish up and will be gone before the end of the summer. My paranoid fear is that he's decided to do an honours thesis and is sticking around for another year. I'm holding out for the former.

On a lighter note, I'm feeling much better than yesterday, so I feel ready to talk about LA.

It was AMAZING!! What a great place! I went to visit Mo who's working as a volunteer kindergarten teacher at a domestic violence shelter there. The people she works with are great. And the families who live there are relatively well-adjusted, considering the situations some of them encountered.

I'm not going to give a play-by-play of what I did, that's for the hardcopy journal and to tell my friends. But, for those of you I don't know, and for those of you I don't talk to on a regular basis, here are the highlights.

Helped at the shelter: Mo was sick the first week I was there, so I was her voice. It made me feel like a police officer, and I'm surprised that anyone liked me, but it's nice to know that I helped.

Craig Kilborn: Went to a taping of his show. Robbie Williams was his guest. It's amazing to think that Americans don't know who he is. He's been big in the Frozen North for years. The show was fun, and Robbie was awesome.

The Producers: Saw the hit Broadway musical. This production starred Martin Short and Jason Alexander. They alone were worth $50 of the $90 I accidentally paid for the tickets. It was a great show. I'm glad I decided to splurge.

Universal Studios: Mo's favourite theme park. We went on rides, saw some shows, had our picture taken with some Marvel superheroes. I got tons of souvenirs. We ate at an Italian restaurant that stuffs its customers, and went to the movie theatre at Universal to see Down With Love -- by far the BEST movie I've seen so far this year.

Farm: The families had an outing to a heritage farm, and I got to go too. Not what most people put at the top of their list of this to do in California, but it was a great day. Everyone was so happy. The kids got to run around and do things, the mothers got to see their kids have some carefree fun, and the Westerlies (a philanthropic organization) took care of everything, so the volunteers and nuns got a break.

Krispy Kreme: Experienced the bliss that is the fresh, still-warm heaven. Not like a donut at all -- a completely different experience. Awesome.

Anaheim: Stayed in a hotel, for easier access to Disneyland.

Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure: I can't say enough or even find words to describe what an AMAZING time I had. I love Disney. Three cheers for Corporate America. Too bad more multi-nationals can't find similar ways to make consumers happy. It's all about gluttony and excess, but tell me the last time that IBM made some kid's (or adult in kid's clothing) day like Disneyland can. So many cool rides. As Mo herself said, Universal looks phoned in be comparaison. I bought tons more shite, and had a BLAST!!!

Graumann's Chinese Theatre: An experience. Even if I did have to see The Matrix: Reloaded to experience it. The audio was amazing. You haven't truly heard the THX sound until you've heard it there.

Hollywood: I was staying in North Hollywood most of the time I was there, but it's not the same. Did a Star Homes tour (saw the Playboy mansion), did the Walk of Fame, I'd already spent a lot of time at Hollywood & Highland, the $6.8 million dollar shopping center that houses the Kodak Center; new home of the Academy Awards. Went to a really great movie theatre called the ArcLight where there's assigned seating, a reastaurant and a gift shop, and THE BEST movie theatre popcorn I've ever tasted. Tyra Banks was there with her boyfriend. They ate at the table next to us. We saw Everybody Says I'm Fine! which is an English-language Indian movie that will probably never see the light of day (dark of theatre) in Hfx. It was great. We stopped at H&H again to see if I could Build-a-Bear, but they closed early, so I was relegated to going home to bed so I could get up at 4:30 and fly home.

The end.

No comments: