09 March 2003

From Kelly

snif snif..mucus-filled me has entered the building. Damn this cold. Thanks for the cake Christine..it was good, although I have to be honest, it made me feel guilty for eating it at 10:30 pm. I also felt guilty for feeling guilty and this is why...I am reading a book about the history of American girl's bodies(The Body Project). It hits home in a lot of ways. I recommend it to the girls that I know. It is sick in some ways. Society knows that it is fucking up girls through media and consumerism, but nobody is really doing anything. 15 year olds are developing faster and earlier because of better nutrition and because of this they are sexualized sooner. Television and magazines are saying: "You have to look like this to be considered beautiful," while your parents are saying:"Don't grow up too fast, you are still a kid." So what the hell are you supposed to do? Are you supposed to try and hang on to childhood while everyone around you gets make up, bras, and skanky clothes? Girls are competeing with air-brushed models, but they also take what they "learn" from tv and magazines and compete with each other. ARgh!That is sad. So it is bad enough that I feel gulity for eating cake so late at night, but then I feel guilty about feeling guilty because I don't want to carry on the torch of the concept: "I have to be thin to be attractive."That is my ramble for now I guess.